Saturday, August 2, 2008

OH "Puh lease!"

This post is by far not my favorite post! I mean really I am writing this at 4 am and why in the heck am I not asleep! Because I have been resting and sleeping now for a week! (I think my clock is off!)

Someone once told me and I think it was Steve--"Getting sick is Mother Natures way of slowing you down." Where in the heck did he come up with that. I have used this phrase many times on my children, when they have complained that they are sick. Well this statement has come back to haunt me I am afraid.

Without going into the gory details, I will (for posterity sake and just to remember my blessings, and keep my fam, friends and fans posted-here goes). Last Thursday I unexpectedly started having some female problems. Yeah--thought it was a fluke, or meno-pause hitting because it only lasted a few hours. But it scared me. Luckily I was able to make it to Abba. On Friday it happened again-only to last a few hours. Of course it was a holiday weekend-what doctor of mine is in! AND it always happened after hours. Sheesh! Again I was very concerned! I had no idea what was going on with my body.
Saturday afternoon comes-It hits again this time only with a vengence. After 4 hours I am so weak and realize that going to the Osmond concert is not an option. (I wont tell you how bummed I was-for those of you who know what a fanatic I am will know how sad I was!) By 7 pm I am at insta-care. Sitting in the bathroom for hours waiting for the doc. I feel lousy, scared, and weak at this point. The Doc was concerned for me, and the first thing they had to do before determining anything was get this massive hemoraging to stop. (this similar thing happened 8 years ago)
We opted to have huge amounts of hormones to get the bleeding to stop and then have my regular doc help us decide what to do on Monday morning.
Well finally by 2 am (12 hours later) I had stopped bleeding-but OH I was sooooo sick. I was so sick all night and all day Sunday! I could NOT even pull my head off of the bed. Note to self-High dosages of Estrogen hormones-DO NOT LIKE ME! Nor do I like them.

In the meantime, my entire family is sick. Sick with some head cold virus and inner ear infection. Mason still has a foot of stitches (see lower post) and mama cant do anything. We were literally the house of the sick!

Monday comes and I am stressed. I am weak, feel lousy, and I am suppose to be on a plane in 24 hours for a week to Florida for my companies National Convention. I get myself into the Doctors only to find out that I am one sick woman. My hemoglobin count level was just above a 7 (6 is a transfusion), I can barely walk from loss of blood, and after an ultra-sound has been done it is determind that I will be needing surgery. And I wont be going to Florida this week. I was so distraught and emotional that I left the office with out paying my co-pay and I just sat in my car and cried.

Tuesday we set up the surgery for Friday, called my Mama to come help with the family. AND I sat and slept all week-not to leave my house. I was depressed all week! What the heck-this is not like me to be home bound for this long-my energy has been very low, and I move slowly. Steve has been a trooper and has taken such good care of our family. We were playing a game on Wednesday and my Mikayla tells our friends-"My mama says that this is just natures way of slowing you down!" Ok so my words come back to haunt me-and by an 11 year old. Sheesh!

Friday morning we arrive at the surgical center at 5 am. I was alot nervous. In the past I have not done well with the anesthesia, as it has made me so sick. Yeah and I dont like barfing uncontrollably on people even if they are nurses. But everything went smoothly. The nurse prepping me told me I was "one strong lady!" She could not believe that I was up and functioning like I was. My "Crit" had come back at a 25% level. VERY very LOW. Basically I should not have been standing apparently. I chalk it up to working out every day. Really.
Doc Holmes came in, and I told him I was mad at him. He already knew that. I was suppose to be in FLORIDA! GRrrr! I told him that the least he could do for me was suck out 20 more pounds while he was in there doing the surgery. He got a chuckle and I made him promise to not let me die or bleed to death on the table.

Things went well, and up to this point we have been blessed. Everything has been sent to pathology and we should know in a week what our next course of action will be. I came out of the surgery well. I was NOT sick! The best sight of all was seeing my Steve walk into recovery. I knew at that point, I was alive. Within a half hour I was eating and drinking and pee'd for them. I was home by 9:15, feeling great and not groggy. I have not had any problems, and have had no pain medications at all-which in itself is a miracle. Now is just a waiting game and a recovery time for me. I guess my bike will be out for a few weeks, as I cant even climb the freakin stairs without feeling like I am passing out.

I have been blessed by so many this past week with phone calls, some visits, movies, powerade, books, meals, offers to take my kids, and flowers. I just cant say thank you enough. At this point many have asked what they can do for us, and right now-because I have been home bound the visits have been my #1 cheerer upper! So thank you. Keep keeping us in your prayers because we still do not know the outcome yet. And I may need some help for awhile in the future. Thank you-I have the best family and friends. I truly do!

Here is my sweet mama and some of the great things that have been brought to me in my time of boredom!

My Entire family pitching in to help fix dinner for us all.

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well I'm glad that everything went well. Let me know if you need anything at all. You will be in my prayers, and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Lots of Love

Sheri said...

Ker what is up with you!!!!!?????? I'll be calling, stay on the mend and we'll be thinking of you!!

Tamalama said...

Seriously, you are amazing!! I wish I were there! You're in my thoughts.

Traci said...

Oh my! And here all week I was being jealous of you, I thought you were in Florida. I hope you get feeling better really soon!

Chelle! said...

Ker...what the heck!!! Here I have been sulking all week that you were having a blast in Florida and I was feeling sorry for myself because I was here. I am serious...it has been a BLAH week. Everyone at work was saying, Why are you so quiet? It is kind a difficult to say...well, see my cool friend is in Florida and I am stuck here. I am sorry that you have had such a rough week. I, definitely, will keep you in my prayers!!! I wished I would have known sooner, I know this fabulous place that makes chicken soup (I would take credit for it--but I disquise it in Brick Oven bucket). Oh, Ker, I hope all is well with you!!!

Sally said...

Oh my gosh! I'm sorry you have been through "heck" and missed your Osmond concert! I hope you get all better soon! That is scary!

Maleen said...

Ker, you are truly amazing. You looked great when I talked with you and even after all you have been through. It makes me want to get up and work out again. Of course, I am already getting up all night, just not working out :)
Keep mending and let me know what I can do.

Anonymous said...

Oh Keri! I hope you get feeling better soon! I'll keep you in my prayers. Hugs!

Barb said...

I've thought about you all week and glad everything has turned out okay this far. Love ya!

Jodi said...

Wow- what an ordeal Ker! I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that. I was getting light headed just reading about it! I hope the recovery is coming well and I will keep you in my thought and prayers!

Emilie said...

I am so sorry, I had no idea! I will keep you in my prayers, and although it looks like you are VERY well taken care of, let me know if you need anything.

Rynell said...

Oh my! I hope you feel better very, very soon and that everything turns out peachy in the end.

What an ordeal! I am so sorry you've had to go through this.

Deanne said...

You really do look great! I am so glad the anesthesia didn't bother you this time, and we will continue to pray for a good outcome with the results.

Cindy B said...

I didn't know either! I'm glad you are doing better. I hope you keep getting well and remember to ask for help if you need it.

{jane} said...

I am out. of. the. loop.

I hope you are feeling better, more strength, and less depression. May God fill you with peace at this time.