Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bike 2 Bike Heber Century Cancer Ride 2009

If you are an avid Scoresby Scoop Blog reader, then you will remember that last September my family rode this Heber Century ride for The Huntsman Cancer Center. All proceeds go to cancer research. Yes-we are avid "cancer research supporters". Last year I didnt get to ride, I had to watch from the window of my car as Steve and my Dad transported me around too cheer my amazing cousins on. It was amazing! It was humbling to know that they were doing this race for me, and for my uncle (their Dad) who had just died 4 months earlier to Pancreatic Cancer. Team Preece rocked!

Today Team Preece rode again! AND they rocked again! It's tradition! AND-I joined them on the road today! I committed to ride 25 miles. I knew that I couldnt do more this year. It's been a hard recovery-BUT the important thing is I'm officially back on the road. I have rode alot this summer, but not up too where I was a year ago. My goal is too be back to 20 plus miles a day. Not only was that a big milestone for me, but my little Meggie rode the entire 25 miles with me. She was a rock star!


She is a determined little thing. She set a great pace and we had a blast together. She has now caught the biking bug too and wants to ride as many races as she can next year. Quite a few of the other bikers were amazed at her as she climbed the soldier hollow hill. They were cheering her on, and she loved every second of it. Both Steve and I were totally proud of her.

(In this photo is Troy, me, Kim and Megs)

Ride Hard or Go Home!

My goal was to ride 25 miles. My Dad was going to ride with me, but since he couldnt (because of surgery on Monday), Megs took his place. It was a great experience for both of us to do this together. She is exactly what I needed today.

Steve and I in an emotional embrace. My tears were from accomplishing a hard goal. I have really realized that "I can do hard things!" And Steves tears were tears of gratitude that I am still here! (plus he has lived the hard stuff with me!)


Troy designed our shirts again. Here is the front. Which was totally appropriate for our team. I loved it Troy! Thanks!

The back was cool too. Here is the upper half. The "S2B' means "Save 2nd Base". You can go to savesecondbase.com if you need more info on this. :)

And here is the lower back of the shirt.


I personally think that the whole thing was great! Cancer is cancer whether its breast, uterine, pancreatic, lymphoma. We need a cure! My plea is that everyone does their part to get involved with a cancer research charity today. I know that we all know someone with cancer or you have lost someone to cancer or both.

For me, "I am Stronger than Cancer"! Thanks Meg for the great ride! Thanks Steve-0 for the support, and for being a great pit crew! And thanks to all of my great friends who came to support and cheer us on today. AND thanks to all of my awesome cousins who rode for me and all of the other Cancer patients and survivors. I am blessed.

7 comments:

Barb said...

That's awesome!!! Way to go, both of you! I'm glad Megs has found something she likes.

Maleen said...

I'm so proud of you AND of Megan. That is awesome that she is getting involved too. It is such a great cause.

And I'm glad you are around to ride this year too.

Sheri said...

You go Megan!!!!!You both just ROCK!

Unknown said...

Wow, you are AWESOME!!!!!! That is amazing, and Megan I am impressed. It's been a long time since I have seen you and I miss you and your family. I love your family picture!!

Chelle! said...

You are amazing!!! YEAH!!!

I think that I want to ride some day...just thinking about getting started...any thoughts?!!

Deanne said...

Way to go team Preece! I'm so proud of you. What a neat thing to do it with Megan, too. You guys are awesome!

Traci said...

Congrats! What a hard thing for you and your family to go through the past year! Love the shirts too!