Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Lucky Leprechauns!

I am the bomb mom this week! It's nearly St. Patty's and we just have to get ready and catch all those sneaky leprechauns! At least at my house. Let me start this story back a few years ago.

My nephew Brennan was really sick during this time 3 years ago. I went to my sister-in-laws house to help her tend my niece while she was at the hospital with him. Well with mom away-the kids play (with their favorite auntie). Ash and I made this amazing leprechaun house/trap. I intended for it to be a one night thing to keep her occupied. Little did I know that it would keep her entertained for months to come, and still carries over every St. Patricks time. Gotta love Ash's imagination.

Well, this excitement carried over to the cousins-which actually was pretty funny. Because all the kids were enamored by the leprechauns by day--night time came and my niece Rilee and Spencer became nervous. Which caused my sister in law Amber to NOT like the leprechaun game. Infact, she wanted it to just go away! The funny thing was, whenever we were all together, the kids would start playing leprechaun and we adults would feed the need, by moving objects around, leaving little tiny hand written notes, and quarters. The kids LOVED it! Except for when night came for Rilee-the mere thought of anything in her house stressed her out (ie. Santa, the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy, and leprechauns). We were kind of naughty brothers and sister, because we thought it was hilarious and we kept feuling the fire. I think it was just for the reaction. Who knows, it was fun though.

Even last year Stephen wanted to go to the cousins houses and deck out their yards with gold treasure for the kids--but I stopped him. (Now they are all into Harry Potter and wizard classes)

Anyways, Mason and I are getting ready for St. Patty's day. He and his friends Warren and Teague and I have been busy for the past few days building our traps in hopes of catching a leprechaun. It's become magical for them. Listening to them make their game plans, has totally cracked me up. I cant wait to play on this little game with our son. He loves it-and it thrills him to try and catch the little sneaky guys.



Here are our cute houses being assembled.


So if any of my brothers and sisters are reading this-post your memories of this event.

AND if any of you have any cool St. Patty's Day traditions, I would love to hear them.

10 comments:

Chelle! said...

Oh, this sounds to delightful!!! I love leprechauns (spelling?)!!! That sounds like so much fun!!! Maybe they should come visit my house!!!

Barb said...

I fueled the fire one night when everyone was home and I was playing with the "Etch-a-Sketch" with Conner. I guess he didn't seem me create this image because he says, "Where did that come from?" and I said. I think a leprechaun just made it while we weren't looking. Well, for the rest of the evening it was all about catching this leprechaun and all the kids got scared and I believe all the parent's were mad at me for playing their game because none of the children would go to sleep! hahahahahaha Don't worry, one day I'm sure you can all get me back.

And then at the reunion I planted little green things around in dad's grove. I'm not sure if they found anything. They are probably still there.

Holly said...

Sounds like the fun never ends at your house! BTW, we finally have a blog - you should check it out - utahsoxfans.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. I would love to do but Tyler thinks I fill my kids with too much. Right now we how a house fairy that visits if your room is clean and leaves treats. Also I have told the boys that sugar bugs will eat their teeth if we don't brush them. Last night Seth work up because we forgot to brush his teeth and was really worried he'd wake up with no teeth.

Deanne said...

Warren is so excited to catch a leprechaun! We'll tell you how it goes at our house! THanks for being brave enough to head up a craft that involved 4 little boys and paint. You are a brave soul!

Maleen said...

That does sound like fun. I just haven't gotten into the St. Patrick's spirit because Easter is too stinking close. Maybe next year, the leprechauns will visit our house.

Kristel said...

I always wondered how this game got started. That's funny. All I knew was how much Amber's kids hated it at night.

{jane} said...

Are you sure you want to be a kid at our house?!? I don't even recognize St. Patty's other than we need to wear cute green stuff on Monday...YOU ROCK!

Stacy said...

This is such a good idea! We have never done anything for St. Patrick's Day at our house and I'm sure Ashton would just love this.

Unknown said...

I'm such a party pooper, but I never knew! We've never done anything exciting but it sounds like great fun!