Sunday, September 28, 2008

Heber City Century Ride 2008

Lately all I have been posting about is me and my little life set back. So, today will be one of those greats in my life. I'll not lie, it's been a rough year for our family in general-both immediate and extended. Our family was not only hit once this year with cancer but twice. One survived, and one did not.

Earlier this year, I rode my first bike race. I was suppose to ride it with my cousin Kim. It was a "Cancer" ride. Her father (my uncle) had just passed and it was just not the right time for her. I rode alone for him. A few months ago, we put together another ride. It was the Heber Century Ride. Everyone chose to do the 50 miler. Again this ride was for the Huntsman Cancer Center. Un-fortunatly I was not able to ride. Kim, asked her brothers to ride as well.

We have now put together a family team. This has become our family quest. One that I think will go on for a long time. Not only was it for an awesome cause, but we were together as a family, and without family, you have nothing. Tears, joy, pain, triumph and service were all wrapped up into one little package. What an incredible day yesterday was for our family.

We (Troy-mainly) designed the coolest team jersey. Our family biking cheer is now "Go Away Cancer!" Many of our family members have had their family experience this ugly disease that never sleeps. Because my cousin married Troy and their last name is "Boldt" we have combined both the "Boldts, and Preece's" to not only "Preece lightning, but to the Lightning Boldts as well. This ride was dedicated to those who have gone on before us, and to those of us who have survived. Sheesh, I never thought in a million years I would be having my name on a shirt and having people ride for me! It was very humbling.

My Daddy and Mom came from Idaho to see his brothers children ride for him (their father), and for me. Although I was not among the participants (this time), I was there cheering and being the pit crew. It was a beautiful day! We had 8 riders and each completed 50 miles. So our family rode 400 miles cumulative yesterday! AMAZING! I was so proud of each of them. The hardest part for me was seeing them start-and telling them "thank you", and seeing their success of completing a very hard ride-and thanking them again. What a great family I have.

It was so cool to see our team in matching jerseys. It was so cool to have people come up to us and ask us what team we were, and it was so cool to be able to say that I was on that survivor list. The people in charge of the ride asked our family for a photo. It was just a great day. I can't even begin to express the happiness, and gratitude I felt. It is such a great feeling to be a part of a cause and a good cause at that. One sleeve had "Preece Lightning" on it, the other had "Lightning Boldts"- The front has a BIG lightning bolt coming down with the words "Go away Cancer" on top. Our backs had stars circling in "Memory of" and the "Survivors". We also love our sponsors who helped us with these jerseys!

As for next season-I will be riding with Team Preece and the Lightning Boldts as we will continue to race for Cancer. My Dad, and Steve are even going to ride. Thanks to Kim Preece Boldt and Troy Boldt, Mick Preece, Jeff Preece, Diana Simpson, Nate Holt, and Belinda and Dave Told. You guys are awesome!

*** I suggest you click on the photos and look at how happy everyone is! It is amazing!

Here is team Preece before the ride began.


This is as close to the bike as I will get for the rest of the season (good thing its almost over!)

Here is Troy- Yelling- "Go away Cancer!" This photo is for little Ben his nephew who passed this past year to cancer as well!

Troy and Mick getting taking a break for a few!


Kim and Belinda--- it was a little chilly in the A.M.

Jeff-had 3 flats on this ride!

Preece Lightning and the Lightning Boldts


**I will post a slide show on preecelightning.blogspot.com soon if you want to see more coverage and photos.

10 comments:

{jane} said...

what an inspiring post. My nephew passed away to cancer just a couple years ago, and members of our family ride/run for cancer also. Such a great cause.

Barb said...

That's awesome, ker.

Candy said...

Awesome... Amazing... INSPIRING!!!

Maleen said...

That is so trippy to see your name on the Survivors list, but let me tell you how thankful I am that it is there.
And by the way, I love the Preece Lightning...Lightning Boldts :)

Sheri said...

Way to go, that is such a great thing for your family, don't worry, I know you'll be out there next year!!!!Take it easy for now

Anonymous said...

You are so inspiring! This is something that I'm going to look into doing...what a great cause!

Jodi said...

Keri - this is Deannes sister, Jodi. I am so inspired by you and your family! What a wonderful support system you have! Good luck to all of you! And a little FYI - I went to high school with Troy and his sister - we were in orchestra together! What a small world!

Jodi said...

P.S. - Nicole - she graduated one year before me - she is Darins age.

Deanne said...

Yay for Preece Lightning Boldts! What an inspiring day. I can't wait to se next year's ride with you leading the pack.

Brenda said...

Keri~

I just stumbled on to your blog and am shocked to see your post about having cancer. I haven't seen you in awhile and just wanted to let you know I'm pulling for you. Your one strong, crazy gal and I know you will be fine. I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts.

Brenda D.