Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Almost 9 Toes

This is what Mason looked like at the beginning of Family Home Evening on Monday night---

This is what he looked like at the end of the evening--

A toe full of stitches later, and a nice bandage to boot-not to mention no swimming for a week.

We went to our friend Tracy's brothers home for some fun FHE on Monday night, and Mace found trouble. (am I surprised? No). He stepped into a out-take drain and nearly sliced his toe off. The bleeding was terrible! The cut was to the bone. He screamed all the way to insta-care. He screamed not because he was in pain, but because Dr. Platt (his doc) would not be there. He said that he didn't trust anyone but Dr. Platt to stitch him up. Poor boy-he is 6 what does he know about trust?! He screamed when he got the shot but was totally enthralled at the procedure.
Dr. Jim said he had never had a patient let alone a 6 year old watch so closely at how they were stitched up. His lucky number was 6 and he argued with Dr. Jim that he needed 6 stitches in "Blue". He only got 5 stitches, so his lucky # changed to 5 instead. He had a rough night, but is doing well. On Monday when he goes back in, they will check his toe out for nerve damage, and bone breakage. He is one tough cookie! And lucky for him he is still our "10 toed boy!"

18 comments:

Evan said...

That's freakin' crazy! Did your friends fix their out take drain thingy?

Sheri said...

I am so glad he still has all of his toes. Dawson had stitches last summer with a Utah pool accident, just crazy!!!!We hope he is feeling better and back swimming soon!

Kristel said...

Does that mean that Mason has been stiched up before and only by Dr. Platt?

Glad he didn't lose it!

Barb said...

Glad he still has all his phalanges. Did he get x-rays?

Katie said...

oh man! I'm glad he's okay and I hope that everything checks out well on Monday when you go in again!

Ker said...

Dr. Platt is the man Kristel. Doc Holmes has done his stitches once on a foot surgery-But Doc Platt is the one for my kids! Doc Holmes takes care of me, and Woodmansee sees Steve-o. Good thing they are all together huh!

jennaloha said...

OW!

Cindy B said...

Poor guy! What a mess. I hope he heals well. That's just rotten.

Jennifer said...

Oh Poor Mason! hopefully everything thing turns out okay. I feel for him I had stiches in three toes for about 7 weeks and its not fun! so hang in there Mason! your a tough kid.

Jodi said...

Eww! Thanks for scaring me even further about having boys!!!! I think I would have thrown up. Poor kid- good thing he is tough. Hopefully there is no long term damage.

Chelle! said...

Oh, that looks terrible!!! I hate it when toes get hurt--Mason's looks like it truly hurts!!!OUCH!!!

Deanne said...

I think I would have lost it! My only experience with kids and stitches is...Mason! Poor little guy. He's handling it like a champ, though!

Maleen said...

Poor Mace! That looks really painful! I'm glad he still has all his digits.

Tell your cute girls thank you for the cookies. I feel bad that I was feeding Daisy, so they didn't get a peek at her. Tell them to come back anytime.

Stacy said...

Yikes!! That is scary looking. It is tough being the mother of boys you never know when things like this can happen.
I am so proud of him for being so brave!

Emilie said...

I think that the numbing shot is so painful! I am glad he has all ten toes. Two of my brother-in-laws cut 2 of thier fingers clean off, not fun. Cute new picture of your family!

Doug and Becca said...

I hope all is going better for your family today. To bad a fun water party turned in to stiches. It happens though right.

Rynell said...

Ouch! Sounds like he was a trooper! Stitches are no fun. My daughter had a pool accident last summer and ended up with stitches under her chin. She was so upset about it and freaked out in anticipation, but once they started stitching her, she laid calmly on the bed watching a movie. I couldn't believe the change....

{jane} said...

10 toes are definitely more convenient and better looking than 9, I hope he heals quickly!