Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Polar Bears Anyone?



One of my favorite things about winter is "hot tubbing". I love my hot tub in the winter. It is so cool to sit out in the cold and look at the snow and icicles and yet be SO WARM! I love to sit and watch it snow when I am relaxing as well.
(Summertime is fun, but I do not get in nearly as often as I do in the winter.)

A few years back our best friends and us were sitting in their hot tub on New Years Eve. It had just snowed in Mapleton and the snow was calling us. Yes literally calling us. It was at that point that we formed the "Polar Bear Club".
To be in the club, there is a special initiation. You must sit in the hot tub and get really nice and toasty hot! Then you must jump out of the tub and roll in the snow. Yes, I said roll in the snow. Then you must jump back into the hottub and endure the coolest sensation throughout your body. Yes it is a wicked feeling.

SO-we had our first initiation of the season... Our good friends the Rasmussens came to soak their weary bodies-and Julie was initiated into the club. She is a true polar bear. Shane on the other hand, well he is NOT a polar bear. He is a penguin. So, if any of you want to come and soak, I dare you to join the bears this winter. ***WARNING***DO NOT attempt if you have heart trouble! This activity is a heart pumping sensation!

7 comments:

Chelle! said...

OH MY!!! You hit it right on the nail--"wicked feeling!" It is the craziest thing ever!!! Once we initated my brother's fiance by telling her that it wasn't a big deal. I still can remember her face when she dove into the hot tub after being covered in snow. Usually, we dare each other to do 3 or more summersaults in the snow and then get back into the hot tub. I have only been able to do 3 before I feel like I am going to die!!! I can't believe what we put ourselves through.

HeaddaMarie said...

Keri you are such a crazy woman!! That's why we love ya!! Looks like a blast! I can remember growing up that my parents used to do that when we had a hot tub!

Barb said...

Me and my roommate are currently taking donations for our hot tub fund if you would like to contribute.

Maleen said...

That sounds so INSANE!! I'm afraid I would fare poorly since I don't do well in hot tubs. Although I did used to do the Polar Dip club at Girls Camp, where you jump in the pool first thing in the morning at 6 am. And in WA, it is still freezing in the mornings, even in the summer time. I'm afraid that is as close to a polar bear as I will ever come. But I am ever so impressed with you guys. And way to go Julie.

Tammy said...

This just sounds COLD! I hear they do this kind of thing in Finland to. What a fun blog!

Deanne said...

I have the shivers just looking at the pictures! I don't think I'll be in the Polar Bear club this year. Brave, brave souls.

Doug and Becca said...

Oh my gosh, you are crazy! I would never get in the snow....its way too cold. I do love hot tubbing in the winter though, especially when its snowing. Its so beautiful